IRWIN provides permitting support and application preparation. We work with you to develop an effective permitting strategy and to identify and collect the required data.

We also provide assistance with regulatory agency negotiations and public hearings.

Air Pollution Permitting

Emissions – Smoke – Odors – Greenhouse Gas

GREENHOUSE GAS REPORTING DEADLINES VARY – GIVE US A CALL. Making changes to equipment or processes, even to enhance production, can result in changed air permitting requirements. New equipment must be permitted prior to installation or otherwise proven to be exempt or subject to permit by rule.IRWIN can review proposed emissions or perform a site inventory to evaluate the actual magnitude of existing emission sources; assist in setting up an appropriate monitoring, record keeping and reporting system; prepare the permit application that presents the BACT analysis and propose conditions that help maximize future operational flexibility. We can also provide support for regulatory agency negotiations.Stack testing is not required for all permit applications. Using our expertise, our staff can also investigate whether modifications to a facility’s operations may minimize emissions resulting in cost savings by qualifying the facility for less stringent requirements.


Wastewater Permitting


Discharges to a Sewer

Disposal of industrial wastes via a Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) requires a permit. These wastes are often subject to effluent pretreatment, monitoring and reporting requirements. Modifications to a facility’s operations may minimize the need for pretreatment resulting in cost savings.

Surface Water Discharges

National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits are required for surface water discharges. These permits must be renewed every five years. NPDES renewals can require an extensive amount of data and often raise new issues. Changes in receiving water body quality or concerns about thermal pollution may cause regulatory agencies to impose very stringent effluent limits. These restrictions can significantly affect your facility’s production and operating costs. Through our experience with NPDES issues, we help our clients to develop an effective permitting strategy.


Wetlands Permitting

IRWIN brings inside knowledge to this area as our firm’s president has been a Conservation Commissioner for over 15 years and understands the permitting process from both sides. Local issues and abutter concerns can result in costly project delays or modifications if not addressed appropriately. IRWIN prepares Notice of Intent Applications, Request for Determination of Applicability Applications, attends local hearings on behalf of Clients, and assists with Agency negotiations.In the field, IRWIN provides services for delineating Bordering Vegetated Wetlands, buffer zones and Riverfront Protection zones.

Hazardous Material Storage Permitting

RCRA (the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act) sets forth many requirements for handling and storing hazardous materials. IRWIN specializes in assisting with federal and state permitting and compliance issues. We do so by first learning about your operations and processes so that we can better offer clear explanations of requirements, strategic advice and permit preparation services. We can also assist with agency negotiations for compliance issues.Flammable material and combustibles are subject to state and local regulations. Generally, a facility needs a permit and/or a license to store flammables and they must be kept in a suitable storage location. NEW- Process vessels bigger than 2.5 gallons now need a MA permit along with an Emergency Plan. See “What’s New”. We are qualified to evaluate compliance with state and local regulations and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes. IRWIN can also prepare emergency response contingency plans for facilities storing hazardous substances subject to reporting under the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA).

Tank Permitting

In Massacusetts, Owners/Operators of USTs must designate an MA certified Class A, B and C operator for each UST system they own or operate.Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) and Above Ground Storage Tanks (ASTs) are subject to a variety of federal, state and local regulations. USTs must comply with regulatory design, installation and inventory-accounting requirements. ASTs must meet a variety of state and local codes. Depending on their contents, tanks may also need to comply with Spill Prevention Countermeasure and Control (SPCC) and/or Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requirements. IRWIN offers permitting assistance that clearly identifies the applicable requirements. We also provide assistance in establishing inventory-accounting and record keeping processes that are needed. IRWIN can prepare or review system designs, containment structure sizing and equipment installations for compliance with the applicable regulations.


IRWIN Engineers, Inc.
33 W. Central St.
Natick, MA 01760


Built by CyberArtisans Web Developers
on the Genesis Framework